Resources for research, particularly budgetary, are and have always been considered less than adequate. Any future research should thus be directed towards the most relevant issues and problem areas. Hence the crucial need to periodically identify research needs priorities.
Such attempts have been made at FARC and institutional levels several times in the past.
The latest one was for the period 2003/2007, based on priorities of strategic plans for the food and agricultural sector, spelling out the broad research themes.
• Food and Agricultural Biotechnology Research & Development Priorities in the Non-Sugar Agricultural Sector(1999-2007). Completed & ongoing programs/projects and priority areas 2003-2007
• Food and Agricultural Biotechnology Research Development Priorities in the Non-Sugar Agricultural Sector (1999-2007). Priority areas 2003-2007 Report of working group on solanaceous crops
• Non-Sugar Sector Strategic Plan 2003/2007 (R & D & Related Priorities/Proposals)
• Priorities (1998/2003) for Non-Sugar Sector (For funding support) (Master Plan)
• Priority Setting Exercises (National and Institutional)